Stearns Boating LLC
Chicago Illinois 60604
Rich Stearns the owner has been racing sailboats since 1962 when he started sailing a Penguin dinghy. Since then he has raced and cruised all over the world. Rich was a Sailmaker for 25 years owning the Murphy & Nye Hood, Sobstad and Doyle franchises in Chicago. Along with racing he has cruised both monohulls and catamarans throughout the Caribbean.
Rich Started in selling boats buy developing the LS-10 33 foot sailboat. Rich has sold J-Boats since 2000. Rich has known the Johnstone family for over 30 years sailing with and against Bob Johnstone when he lived in Wilmette Illinois in the 60’s and 70’s. In 2008 Stearns Boating LLC became the Midwest Hanse, dealer. When Hanse bought Dehler Stearns Boating took over as the Dehler dealer in the midwest. In 2015 Rich became the Swan dealer in the Midwestern United States.
Rich is also the author of “Getting Started in Sailboat Racing” International Marine/Ragged Mountain Press / McGraw Hill 2004 and 2013. Second edition 2013.
Some of Rich’s sailing resume includes:
- 3 Olympic Campaigns (Soling)
- Americas Cup Campaign Heart of America Main trimmer and sail co-coordinator
- 1st Soling Great Lakes Championship
- 2nd Soling North American Championship
- 1st T-10 North American Championships Skipper
- 1st T-10 North American Championships 2nd four times
- 1st T-10 North American Championship (crew) 5 times
- Chicago Mac race 42 times:
- 1st overall 4 times
- 1st to finish 4 times
- 1st section 10 times 2008 1st J-122
- 2 time first overall double-handed section
- Port Huron Mackinac race:
- 1st to finish 2 times
- 1st overall 3 times
- Millennium 600-mile Mackinac race 1st overall 2000
- Detroit NOOD 1st overall 2002
- Chicago NOOD 1st overall 1998 2002 2004 2005
- Verve Cup 1st 2003 2004 2005 2006 2008
- International 50 cup navigator “Insatiable”
- Old SORC 1st 2 times
- SORC 1st one time 3rd two times
- Penguin regional Champion
- Verve Cup first overall 2003
- Key West first J-92s 2007
- 2nd IRC National Championship 2008
- 3rd J/70 regatta "fall brawl" Annapolis 2012
Long time sailor and respected marine industry leader, Gary Edelman, has joined Stearns Boating to help service the Midwest. Stearns Boating now handles J/Boats, Hanse, Dehler and Nautor’s Swan.
Gary has operated his own boat sales company for years operating out of his office in Milwaukee. Gary is able to answer your questions, provide information and set up showing for all of the sailboats Stearns Boating represents.
Gary can be reached through our main office telephone number (312)-994-9153 or directly at (414) 234-5787. You can also e-mail Gary at gary.e(at)stearnsboating.com